Welcome To My World of Pedals and Paddles

An account of my Sea Kayaking and Mountain Biking exploits

Tuesday, 17 September 2013

14 days in Greenland 7

This was going to be a day of two halves. The pressure had dropped significantly over the passed twenty four hours and we were aware things were going to change.
For now the morning was the same as the day before except the temperature was much colder.   The pogies came out to combat the wind and cold.
We headed south out of the channel and then turned north west up yet another narrow channel called Ikasak.

We were now paddling directly into the wind and there was no mistaking where we were.

As we approached Angmagssalik Fjord once more a fog bank was clearly visible on the west side.

Our planned route was to take us further south down the Fjord first on the east side to Avtonalik where we would then cross the Fjord to Nugartik. This was open crossing of six km into a fog bank. We had lunch just north of Avtonalik where there is a new hut. Unfortunately the hut was fully occupied by French sea kayakers who were not paddling that day due to the fog. We had gotten used to living out doors by this stage so this was not a big deal for us and we enjoyed lunch on the beach.
Having taken our bearings we prepared to cross, however one of the team was suffering from over exertion and had to be towed across. The team took on the challenge and we made it to the other side without incident. We did come rather too close to a large trawler type vessel which made me feel quite vulnerable because I doubt the crew ever realised we were there.
The weather took a turn for the worst and the quality of the photographs took a serious dip.

We were planning to camp at a historical site used by Knud Rasmussen for several months during his Fourth Thule Expedition of 1919 - 1920. He spent much of this time in the Angmagssalik area researching the Inuit culture and collecting artfacts.
The site has the remains of old earth houses and it was apparent that it must have been quite busy during Rasmussens time here.
We pitched our tents among the old ruins and cairns and there was a definite feeling that others had been here before us.

Just after the open crossing I managed to pick up a quite a large chunk of glacier ice which I believe could be up to 35000 years old. Glacier ice is quite distinctive form sea ice in that it is crystal clear and appears to contain no contaminants. This was duly melted in my pot and bottled. This quite unique drink now sits in my drinks cabinet awaiting a special occasion when it will be duly mixed with a nice single malt (probably Talisker).

This was another great campsite, competition for the best spot was quite intents. Please excuse the pun.

We had the, by now, usual campfire followed by dram o'clock.

This was our last proper expedition camp and I was not looking forward to getting back to civilisation and what some call the 'real world'.

No comments: